Are Blur the best British band of the past 20 years?

:: General :: 90s Music

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are Blur the best British band of the past 20 years?

Post by lennonrules on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:17 pm

A band you either like or hate,at first i never liked em,but i soon got into em,that never seems to happy for me these days.Great albums they made,parklife will always be the one imo.
lennonrules
It's Getting Better (Man!!)

Back to top Go down

Re: Are Blur the best British band of the past 20 years?

Post by barnafin95 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Love blur and a lot of their songs, but cant listen to any of their albums end to end.
barnafin95

Back to top Go down

Post by lennonrules on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:25 pm

same here,i like their b-sides from the great escape album.. no monsters in me & the man who left himself were great tunes.
lennonrules

Back to top Go down

Post by barnafin95 on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:02 am

They released TONS of b-sides, need to listen to one of the bootlegs that collects them all. Apparently they were quite patchy (like the albums) and had weird comedy tracks and covers of nursery rhymes and stuff along with good songs
barnafin95

Back to top Go down

Post by lennonrules on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:23 pm

check out st.louis on youtube,b-side of charmless man,an extra track i mean.
lennonrules

Back to top Go down

Post by barnafin95 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:31 am

Charmless man is one of my favourite blur songs Cool St Louis isnt bad, not one of my faves though. I like one called no monsters in me, check it out
barnafin95

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:13 am

Even though Oasis are my favourite british band during my lifetime, blur are the best

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:17 am

that's quite a statement Eggy. A very good band, true, but the best British band of the last 20 years???

Stone Roses, The prodigy, Oasis, Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Super Furry Animals, Coldplay, Radiohead ....
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:29 am

Yep. The way the changed with each album, look at the difference between Modern Life is Rubbish and Think Tank yet it always sounded like blur. The headlined Glastonbury 09 and it was brilliant whereas some, if not most, reunions can be a car crash - and that could have been with a 40 year old (or there abouts) Damon Albarn running around the stage during Sunday Sunday but it wasn't. Ok The Great Escape was pretty poor but still had The Universal on which is a great track

From the bands you mentioned only Oasis and Radiohrad come close and maybe Arctic Monkeys in 3 albums time if they continue at the same level of quality and advancement (thats not even a word! But you know what I was thinking of)

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:34 am

An intelligent point. Though you also missed out Primal Scream - every album they've done has been a different genre to the one before!

And bands like The Prodigy and Primal Scream created a new genre. rock and dance crossing over together. What the hell is that genre called?
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:36 am

BTW I'm gonna relabel this thread as it's a really interesting discussion that others might like to join in on ...
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 am

Alternative Dance? I'd also include The Chemical Brothers in that little genre

I've only listened to 2 albums by Primal Scream - Screamadelica and XTRMNTR - and I'm probably in the minority thinking XYRMNTR, I will go back though their disographu and some point but based on those 2 (which are often rated as their best) I wouldn't say they were the best British Band of the last 20 years

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:41 am

You have to bear in mind that other bands have now copied the sound from those two albums, but both were genre defining at the time. Listen to their whole back catalogue in order, and you'll see what I mean. That band constantly changed and evolved...
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:43 am

Yeah I will get round to it, I've been meaning to for a while but a lot of good music came out in 2010 that took my attention and 2011 has started the same way (that and the fact I've been going back to 2010 releases I enjoyed or didn't give enough time to)

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:47 am

Also the first three Prodigy albums were genre defining as well.

Blur certainly evolved their sound

but their first album was simply following the shoe gazing sound at the time,

they were one of the first Brit Pop bands on the scene, but initially were riding on the coat tails of Suede (though admittedly a very different sound) - and what they were doing at the time was n't radically different to say what Pulp, Supergrass or SFA were doing at the same time, and the post rock sound was heavily influenced by the genre defining Pavement.

Think tank was the first album they really took a bold step into a place musically no man had been before with the mixing of world music into their sound.

Damon Albarn on his own has been more genre defining than Blur were.
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:58 am

Like I said in the other thread - Damon Albarn is the greatest british musical genius of all time! Massive statement I know but I don't think anyone else in the world right now could write and record an album in 31 days! Its based on a lot more than that (I had a half an hour discussion with a Beatles fan on NYE and even though I was wasted I convinced him)

If John Lennon was born 30 years later would he have been as experimental to go from The Beatles (or a similar band) to Gorillaz - a band with hip hop influences, I know that is massively unfair on Lennon as hip hop didn't come around until after his death but Lennon (after the Beatles) didn't advance anymore than he did while he was with them for my money.

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:01 am

I'm not sure I would say Damon Albarn is the greatest musical genius of all time - after all is it greater to create a genre or simply prove adept in many different genres?

Was Brit Pop Blur better than other Brit Pop acts like Pulp or Supergrass or SFA?

Was Post Rock Blur better than Pavement?

Are Gorillaz better than Plan B or The Streets?
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:04 am

Liam Howlett and Keith Gillespie created genres - that's why I hold out on calling Damon the greatest musical genius of the past 20 years, let alone of all time ...
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:05 am

I said greatest british musical genius Wink

Didn't really like britpop as a genre other than Oasis, Blur and The Verve (got a few Pulp albums to go back to) but I did like their britpop albums although The Great Escape, along with Leisure was their worst album (in all fairness Leisure was really controlled by the record label wanting a madchester sound so can't really blame albarn)

Never listen to Pavement Embarassed I have to get round to it but for me Blur and 13 are my 2 favourite Blur albums

and Yes - Demon Days, for my money, is better than anything either of those have created

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:07 am

the_hound wrote:Liam Howlett and Keith Gillespie created genres - that's why I hold out on calling Damon the greatest musical genius of the past 20 years, let alone of all time ...

I did say it was a massive statement - I really only said it because of the way he can adapt to different genres like no one else - last year he released Plastic Beach and Fools Day in touching distance to each other. I think anyone that can adapt to genres that different as seamlessly has to be described as a genius and I can't think of anyone whos done it as good

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 am

I prefer both Plan B's albums to any album by Gorillaz and A Grand Don't Come for Free Wink but I love story telling

Pavement's Retrospective is the best place to start with them. Once you heard them, realise they came up with this sound before Blur did it, you'll see what I mean...

Though agree 13 and Blur were their best albums ....

and how about the progression by Radiohead from Pablohoney to The Bends, to OK Computer to Kid A and finally to In Rainbows ....?

Bremex, where are you?

Listen to i Should Coco, Different Class, and Radiator - all as good Brit Pop albums as Park life if not better.
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:10 am

Damon is not alone with Blur though - listen to Graham Coxon's solo stuff, and you can see how instrumental he was in creating the Post Rock Blur sound.
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by eggy on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:13 am

I said Radiohead would be up there - You got me into them with The Bends and I love them now. In Rainbows is extraordinairy and they are a perfect example of a band who develop with each album and don't mess it up - I wish more bands were like that

Got to listen to Coxons solo stuff - did catch a bit of his last solo album but I wasn't as open in my music tastes now - 2010 was a big year for me musically, as i said in the 2010 thread on here

eggy

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:14 am

Our first really good debate on this forum!

Where's Sonne to claim we are making a personal dig at him and Alisa by saying Damon is greater than John Lennon, and AP to delete the thread? Smile Laughing
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by the_hound on Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:16 am

Listen to Love Travels at Illegal Speeds by Graham Coxon, and yes In Rainbows is extraordinary. Scruff disagrees, but Bremex will support us!
the_hound

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next